The #proving-grounds channel in the OffSec Community provides OffSec users an avenue to share and interact among each other about the systems in PG_Play.
To instill the “Try Harder” mindset, we encourage users to be open minded, think outside the box and explore different options if you’re stuck on a specific machine.
To avoid spoiling the fun and challenge of exploiting the machines, there are rules that must be followed when collaborating in the channel:
- Though some machines will have walkthrough/hints, we encourage not to share complete solutions or walkthroughs as we still want users to complete them on their own.
Note: Accessing hints will reduce the points you get and walkthroughs will prevent you from getting any points.
- We do not allow users to share complete source codes, scripts, or commands that are required for the machines. Sharing code snippets, to discuss any issues they might be facing is allowed.
Some of the machines are challenging. Be generic about a certain exploit or process so we can openly discuss without considering it spoilers. For examples:
- Instead: “How I get root on some-box?”
- Propose: What’s a common way to get a system from “some-service” on Windows?
- Instead: Who’s done “XYZ” machine?
- Propose: I’ve tried scanning for services on a host, but nmap is not returning any open ports, any ideas?
- Instead: EDB 1234 (spoiler) is not working on “XYZ” machine.
- Propose: Can EDBD 1234 be used directly or does it need to be modified first?
We do encourage users to point out what another user is doing wrong be it in their methodology, or their approach, so they can grow and improve.
Please be polite and courteous within the chat platform as we do not tolerate unmannerly behavior of any kind. Below are the list of unacceptable topics within any of our channels:
- We do not allow discussing information on the machines outside of what is publicly available.
- We do not allow users using insults, profanities, or being rude and disrespectful to their fellow users in the channels.
- We do not allow discussing illegal activities such as hacking private individuals or corporations.
We also request users to keep discussions related to the channel topic. If you are not sure what channel to start the discussion on, please check the #off-topic and #main channels.
OffSec members will be monitoring the channel, to make sure the channel rules are observed and compiled.